Monday, November 17, 2008

I may have found my new home

So I am here in Montañita, Ecuador for the second time, and wow is it better this time around. Andrea and I were here 3 or 4 weeks ago checking out the spanish school, and I was trying to meet up with some local spearfisherman. We were only here for two days and it didn´t seem like it was the kind of place we would stay for too long. I was not able to meet up with the fisherman, and the school was a little pricy. At the time it just didn´t seem right for. After 2 weeks in Baños we decided to come visit a friend from Chicago who is working here in Montañita.

I have been carrying my speargun and equipment for a month or so now and it has been a bit of a pain in the butt. I had given up on meeting up with the spearfisherman here, and was ready to wait till Colombia. It is funny how things just always work out. On the bus to Montañita Andrea and I sat in different seats because the bus was pretty full. As fate would have it Andrea sat next to one of the local fisherman. She introduced us and he took me around to other friends of his who love spearfishing as much as I do. The next day we were in the water going para los pescados. Unfortunately the water was not so great we managed to get couple of fish. Afterwards Lenin took me to his house where we cleaned the fish and he cooked them up for Andrea and I. Through out the day I had met many of the locals. The town is very small and everybody knows everybody. After dinner Lenin invited Andrea and I to his cousins wedding. I continue to be amazed by the warm friendly people I have met on my journey. I had just met the guy 8 hours before and he had taken me fishing (let me borrow some equipment), brought us to his house and cooked a meal, and then invited us to the wedding. These are the reasons I took this trip. These are the experiences that will stay forever with me. At the wedding were were welcomed as if we were family. We spent the night dancing away and practicing our conversational skills with all the buen gente de Ecuador.

No comments: