Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu itself is quite and experience. I sat there and looked at this city made of massive boulders and stone and thought to myself "how the hell did they do it". It would not be an easy task to complete something like this even today with machinery and proper roads. To imagine how it was done so long ago with just sheer man power is incredible. It was incredible how the walls to all the temples were perfectly aligned with no error what so ever. They even carved homes out of massive boulders...I just dont´t see how it was done.

We had to wake up at 4 am the morning of Mach Picchu to get there early and to get a ticket for the extra Waynapicchu Mountain. It took about an hour of walking up stairs in the dark to finally reach the entrance to Machu Picchu. I didn´t realize that it would be so tiring walking around the city, but it may have been tougher than any of the days on me trek. From the famous post card view you can see Waynapicchu and the main part of Machu Picchu. This is an extra little hike you can do if you get there early enough (which we did). This was quite difficult especially in my flops. It took another hour of walking strait up and at times you are walking on an extremely narrow stair case that seems to drop off to no where. The most amazing thing I saw in my life was here. There was a man probably in his late fifty´s early sixties climbing Waynapicchu with his wife. Now I was tired and exhausted how the heck was he doing it? Then when I got closer to them I realize that was the least of his worries. He was directing his wife's every step...she was blind!!! I could`t believe it. Reaching the top was definitely worth it. You really felt as if you were on top of the world.

No comments: